The Lawson Group kicked off its 6-week Wellness Challenge, Race to the Top, for employees this fall. Departments competed to fill their Sand Towers by completing healthy activities. Despite a close race throughout the challenge, the Consulting & Lab Team maintained their lead from day one! They are now the first proud holders of our new Wellness Champ Teams Plaque.
The purpose of the challenge is to encourage participants to pick up new and maintain old healthy habits. This may be drinking eight, 8-ounce glasses of water, fitting in twenty minutes of cardio, or taking some time to read for leisure. Doing so earns that person’s team tablespoons of sand, which are added to their team’s tower at the end of each week. The first team to fill their Sand Tower wins the race! The challenge covers nutrition, physical activity, and peace of mind aspects of wellness. Each week also provides five new bonus activities which can be completed for additional sand.
The challenge was a success with a 92% participation rate among all employees. Multiple factors contributed to this success. Below are a few.
- Sand Towers were displayed in the front entrance of the office and served as a continual reminder of team progress.
- Dividing teams by departments promoted friendly rivalry and team camaraderie.
- Team captains played an essential role in encouraging participation and fielding questions.
- All challenge trackers existed in Google Sheets, which was user-friendly and accessible to employees working offsite.
- The Lawson Group sponsored some great prizes for bi-weekly raffles and the winning team.
As the primary coordinator of this challenge, I would like to give a big thanks to our team captains for all of their efforts during Race to the Top! Helen Enzien (Lab & Consulting), Dawn Vaillancourt (Admin & Wellness), Michele Staunch and Kim Walker (Sales & Loss Control), Lauryn Wheeler and Rachel Tether (Claims) all did a wonderful job leading their teams through the six weeks of healthy habits! I would also like to thank The Lawson Group for contributing the multiple prizes used throughout the challenge. At the end of the challenge, the Consulting & Lab Team was able to enjoy their win over a celebratory Panera breakfast.
Now that we have our Wellness Champ Teams Plaque, I hope to continue to see some stirring of friendly competition. We shall see which team earns the next spot on the plaque with the next six-week challenge!